We offer two methods of video implementation with your website. You are able to add an external video through Youtube or Vimeo, or upload your own to be hosted in your media library.
Showit Hosted Videos
If you are wanting to upload your own video file to be used as a canvas background you will need to make sure it is in a compatible format for your media servers.
**All hosted video files need to be .mp4 formatted with the maximum file size being 8mb**
If the video is not in a compatible video format, please convert the video to a .mp4 file using h.264 compression and then try importing again. We recommend the following options to get video into your website:
- Handbrake for Mac and PC
- iMovie is built into any Mac.
- Export Using Quicktime – On a Mac or PC
- Vimeo – Free and premium versions that automatically converts your files. Showit includes a built in Video Player Widget.
- YouTube – Free and automatically converts your video but YouTube is currently limited by 10 minute clips. Showit includes a built in Video Player Widget for YouTube.
Adding a Video as a Canvas Background
You can add video directly to a page but it will play automatically with no controls. This is good for canvas backgrounds or short clips.
1. Open the media library and click the “Upload File” button.
2. Select your video file on your computer and upload it into your media library.
3. Select the canvas you would like to edit
4. Click the “Canvas Background” option on the right hand properties panel.
5. From the “Type” drop down, select “Video”.
6. Click the object icon that pops up and select your video from the media library
Convert to MP4 for Background Video
We suggest using the free video conversion software Handbrake to convert the files into small web sized videos. An 8mb file size limit is in place for background videos to ensure they load quickly.
- Download Handbrake free
- Convert with these settings